Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Response to Phoebe Gloeckner

For week 12, I researched Phoebe Gloeckner after looking at her Diary of a Teenage Girl. I found this to be describable as the quintessential "coming-of-age-in-the 70s" story. I feel like the story is really similar to other stories I've read. The main character, Minnie, goes on a journey of self-discovery as she grows up in the changing times of the 70s San Francisco. Like many coming-of-age stories, she experiments with sex, drugs, relationships and her own character. Though a familiar story, it was by no means boring. In fact, the character development and dark and intense tones were engaging. The story and what Minnie was going through had an element of danger and uncertainty that kept me on the edge of my seat. I found her obvious cartoon inspired style to go along with the story because I felt that she capture the feeling and soul of her characters, especially in facial features. After researching her more and learning of her unique tone, style and notable content in works like A Child's Life and the unique medical illustration work in The Atrocity Exhibition, I am immensely interested in what she has to offer and look forward to find out more.




No comments:

Post a Comment