Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Osamu Tezuka's Buddha

This was my first experience with Tezuka and one of my first encounters with manga (thankfully it was the American version so I did not have to figure out which way to read it!). I decided to read Buddha, which, no pun intended, was very enlightening. It taught me not only about manga in general but, like my earlier reading of King by Ho Che Anderson, showed a different interaction with an historical figure that is often made out to be quite "pure." I was very excited to read Buddha because of my interest on the subject. Unfortunately I was only able to read Vol. 1, but I would definitely be up for reading further. The retelling of the life of Buddha proved an interesting read. I enjoyed some of the more humorous aspects of the tale, however I found it odd that for something with such a rich visual heritage, Tezuka chooses to use black, white and cross hatch shades of gray to create this world. That being said, there is a good use of contrast and dynamic movement to create visual interest. Overall, this was not my favorite representation of a deeper subject matter I have encountered this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment